In the midst of celebrating Christmas, let’s remember the reason we are celebrating. God has given us the greatest gift in His Son who came to save us from our sin. The traditions of Christmas including the exchange of gifts, the Christmas carols, and the sharing of food and fun began in our faith. Many of us have drifted from understanding the reasons why to a focus on the celebration. Let’s make Christ again the central focus of this special season.
- Consciously develop an attitude of gratitude. As we approach Thanksgiving Day, make a list of all you appreciate . Keep a Thankfulness Journal and keep adding to it daily.
- Take time each day to tell one person why you are grateful to have them in your life. Be specific. If you live far from them send them a card or a letter expressing your appreciation instead of a text or an email. If you only have time for a text or an email, text or email.
- Plan works of service for those in need in our communities and the members of our families. Volunteer.
- Include your children in finding ways to serve the people around us. Teach them to give the gift of time and service.
- Purchase a nativity set your children can play with. It is lovely to have a beautiful nativity set to display but some of my fondest memories of childhood Christmases involve arranging and playing with the nativity sets in my grandparents’ homes.
- Do not neglect to worship together with your family. Arrange celebrations around times of worship.
- If your local radio station is playing only secular holiday songs, call and in a civil and polite way request traditional Christmas carols like Silent Night, O Come All Ye Faithful, It Came Upon a Midnight Clear, O Holy Night, O Little Town of Bethlehem, and others with the birth of Christ as their theme.
- Include the reading of the Christmas story from your Bible in your family celebration.
- Spend time each day leading up to Christmas with a family devotional focused on the meaning of Christmas.
- Does your family say grace before meals? If this family tradition has been neglected, make it again part of your family life.
- Every day live a life of gratitude and celebration with an awareness of the reality and presence of God.