Friday, January 31, 2014
Bible Reading: Exodus Exodus 5-6; Psalm 26
Friday is your last day for the month so make those bathrooms shine!
Each Friday is Wrap Up the Week Day
- Clean out your car
- Clean out your purse, backpack, diaper bag, computer case or whatever you carry with you when you leave your home.
- Vacuum the traffic areas in your home. Give special attention to your Area of Focus: use the nozzle of your vacuum cleaner to remove dust from curtains, cobwebs from corners, and dirt from any of its hiding places.
Declutter for 15 to 30 Minutes Each Day.
More on My Whole House Declutter
Yesterday I continued my whole house declutter beginning with our bathroom. Because I have been through my home so many times, there are areas like cupboards and closets that I just open up, see that they are in good general order and move on. This time I made myself look a little deeper.
- In my bathroom I checked for out of date medications and cosmetics.
- I have samples of personal care items I have stashed in a makeup bag. I determined to use them over the next few weeks. Use it or lose it.
- I released my hot rollers that I had not used in years.
- After the linen closet in my bathroom, the two under the sink cabinets and the drawers in the vanity were clean and in order, I grabbed the rugs and towels and threw them in the washing machine.
The two best things I do in my bathroom are:
- I keep a stack of inexpensive white wash cloths under my sink and wipe out the sink, wipe off the counters, and remove any toothpaste specks from the mirror each time I use the sink in the bathroom. Joy of joys! Roy has picked up this habit without my saying a word.
- I keep a scrubbie hanging on the organizer in my shower just for wiping down the shower. When my children were little and they took baths, we scrubbed our way out of the tub and all I had to so was rinse out the tub to keep it clean all the time. Easy peasy.
After I finished in my bathroom, I moved on to my bedroom. I did a pretty thorough job in my bedroom when it was the Area of Focus this month so it was easy. I did make myself release a blouse I never wear from my closet and put my clothes back in order within categories (sleeveless blouses, short sleeved blouses, long sleeved blouses –yes I organize my pajamas, dresses and tops by sleeve length) well yesterday I put them back in order by color. I use color to organize and I use rainbow order—red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, violet (then brown, and black) Pink is light red so I go from light to dark within each color. Yes, I got a little obsessive because of the extra time the snow day’s cancellations gave me but I have found that arranging by color has helped me find things to wear that work together that I wouldn’t have seen if they were not arranged by color. Arranging things by sleeve length helps me choose clothes that are right for the weather.
Side Note—Moving to Grown Up Clothes
Thirty some years ago I lived every day but Sunday in tee shirts and jeans. There were women I admired and I began to notice how they dressed. If they wore tees and jeans they might throw a blazer on over it and they wore jewelry and makeup. I decided to pull myself together. I shopped clearance racks and had my colors done. I was so grieved when my children would ask me where I was going when I looked nice. I had been giving my family leftovers in my appearance, as well as in other areas. If I look nice for my husband, and children, I looked nice for everyone else. Family first.
You can’t work in nice clothes? At uniform supply stores they have vests that go over your clothes with nice big pockets. I have a denim vest I can put on when I am doing messy work in clean clothes.
Back to the Declutter
Next was the Family Bath which stays clean because it is not in regular use. I still have to clean the toilet in there regularly because minerals in the water will create ring around the water line, so I was in there all of about two minutes.
The Guest Bedroom has my son’s clothes stored there while he is working in another state. I took a few minutes to put the drawers that were in no particular order into order. I have bookcases in that room but I had just purged them to share them with a ministry I am interested in. They needed books for a library so I had gone through my bookcases and video cabinet. It’s easier to release things you like when you know they are going where they will make a difference.
This brought me to my office where I will be going in a few minutes to resume the purge.
The first day of my declutter was easier because my mind was fresh and it was easier to make decisions. The second was a little harder and I became tired sooner. When you get tired and find decision making more difficult, quit for the day or at least take a break,
So, today the office (duh, duh, dah!)
Each day when I share this a few places on Facebook I write a little note this is what I wrote yesterday:
Nothing works if you don’t do it. If you are looking for a reason something won’t work for you, it won’t. BUT if you are looking for ways to make your life and your home work, you will make progress and you will find a way.
Please note that what we are doing is asking ourselves questions and answering them from the text of the Bible. God does not take opinion polls. He tells us what is good and right. He may sometimes say why but even if He doesn’t He tells us, this is the way, walk in it. You will find life and your life will work. If you walk away from God and His word in life and in relationship with Him and others, you will find death, dysfunction, destruction, and disaster. He is God. He made us and everything else there is. He gets to make the rules and they work.
Yesterday we looked at a single verse, what did it say?
- 21Submit to one another out of reverence for Christ.
What instructions are given to the wife?
- 22Wives, submit yourselves to your own husbands
- as you do to the Lord.
- 23For the husband is the head of the wife
- as Christ is the head of the church,
- his body,
- of which he is the Savior.
- 24Now as the church submits to Christ, so also wives should submit to their husbands
- in everything.
Now comes the harder part, what are husbands told to do?
- 25Husbands, love your wives,
- just as Christ loved the church and
To what extend does Christ love the church?
- gave himself up for her
- 26to make her holy, (holy—set apart)
- cleansingb her by the washing with water through the word, (the church is cleansed, made clean, by the word of God.)
- 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church,
- without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish,
- but holy and blameless.
How is the husband to love his wife?
- 28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies.
- He who loves his wife loves himself.
- 29After all, no one ever hated their own body, but they feed and care for their body,
- just as Christ does the church— 30for we are members of his body.
Paul quotes Genesis 2:24, what does it say?
- 31“For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife,
- and the two will become one flesh.”
So both in the church and in our marriage relationship, we are one?
- 32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.
What is the conclusion, to these instructions?
- 33However, each one of you also must love his wife
- as he loves himself, and
- the wife must respect her husband.
I strongly recommend Love and Respect by Emerson Eggerich as well as Love and Respect in the Family, to see how this functions in healthy relationships.
Saturday, February 1, 2014
Bible Reading: Exodus 7-8; Psalm 27
Saturday is Family Fun Day
Have Fun Working and Playing Together
Sunday, February 2, 2014
Bible Reading: Use Sunday to Catch Up If You Are Behind in Your Reading or Focus on the Verses from Your Pastor’s Sermon
Sunday is Worship with Family and Church Family
Plan Your Week and Coordinate Activities and Needs with Your Husband and Children.
Monday, February 3, 2014
Bible Reading: Exodus 9-10; Psalm 28
Area of Focus, February 1-7: The Living Room/Family Room
Monday is Launch Your Week Day
- Pick up your home after the weekend
- Clean Your Toilets
- Check Your Bathrooms for any needed items and add to your shopping list before you run out.