Because I have been raised to new life with Christ, what am I to do?
- 1Since you have been raised to new life with Christ, set your sights on the realities of heaven, where Christ sits in the place of honor at God’s right hand.
- 2Think about the things of heaven, not the things of earth.
- 3For you died to this life, and your real life is hidden with Christ in God. 4And when Christ, who is your life, is revealed to the whole world, you will share in all his glory.
So what am I to do?
- 5So put to death the sinful, earthly things lurking within you. Have nothing to do with
- sexual immorality,
- and evil desires.
- Don’t be greedy, for a greedy person is an idolater, worshiping the things of this world.
What is going to happen because of these sins?
- 6Because of these sins, the anger of God is coming.
What does this have to do with me?
- 7You used to do these things when your life was still part of this world.
What do I need to do now?
- 8But now is the time to get rid of
- malicious behavior,
- and dirty language.
- 9Don’t lie to each other,
- for you have stripped off your old sinful nature and all its wicked deeds.
What am I to do now?
- 10Put on your new nature,
- and be renewed as you learn
- to know your Creator
- and become like him.
What is true of this new life?
- 11In this new life, it doesn’t matter if you are
- a Jew or a Gentile,
- circumcised or uncircumcised,
- or free.
- Christ is all that matters, and he lives in all of us.
- 12Since God chose you to be the holy people he loves, you must clothe yourselves with
- and patience.
- 13Make allowance for each other’s faults,
- and forgive anyone who offends you.
- Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.
- 14Above all, clothe yourselves with love, which binds us all together in perfect harmony.
- 15And let the peace that comes from Christ rule (act as umpire) in your hearts.
- For as members of one body you are called to live in peace.
- And always be thankful.
What is to fill my life?
- 16Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives.
- Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives.
- Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts.
- 17And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus,
- giving thanks through him to God the Father.