The Basics in Under 20 Minutes a Day
- Make your bed either before or after your morning shower. (2 minutes)
- Pick up and put away any clothes, shoes, or jewelry (4 minutes)
- Straighten your surfaces (night stand and dresser) (under 1 minute)
Your Bathroom–Under 2 minutes each day
- Wipe out the sink (30 seconds) I keep a stack of white washcloths under the sink and use them to wipe out the sink and wipe down the counters at least once a day. Develop the habit of wiping out the sink after every use and it will stay clean.
- Wipe off the toilet seat and rim (20 seconds)
- Swish the toilet bowl with a toilet brush (20 seconds)
- Polish the mirror and faucet (20 seconds)
- Keep a squeegee in the shower and squeegee the surfaces immediately after your shower or use a shower spray (20 seconds)
Your Kitchen –- Under 5 minutes each day
While the coffee is brewing:
- Wipe down the sink (30 seconds)
- Wipe off the stove (30 seconds)
- Wipe down the counters (1 minute)
- Sweep or Swiffer the floor (2 minutes)
Your Living Room—7 minutes each day
- Use a dustbuster to pick up crumbs (2 minutes) (If you don’t have a dustbuster use a whisk broom and small dust pan)
- Straighten pillows on the couch and chairs and fold throws (2 minutes)
- Spot clean end tables, coffee table and entertainment center – wipe off any fingerprints or other marks. (1 minute)
- Put away CD’s and DVD’s. Straighten books and magazines. Discard newspapers (2 minutes)
Make a tote or totes for each area with any cleaning supplies you will need for your quick cleaning. (Just for fun–in my upstairs all my cleaning and laundry supplies are lavender scented. Downstairs I use lemon scented cleaning supplies.Homes can be more appealing when you take into consideration the five senses: Sight, sound, smell, taste and touch.)
- Clean from the clean area into the dirtier area to avoid spreading the dirt around.
- Work from the top to bottom to knock dust down.
- Vacuum after you dust.
In the morning:
- Quiet time
- Exercise – a regular short routine is better than a longer routine you never do
Make laundry and dishes a priority
Laundry-I start a load of laundry first thing each morning and make a point of getting it into the dryer and then folded and into the drawers.
- Dishwasher–Make a point of not leaving clean dishes in the dishwasher. Unload the dishwasher as soon as the dishes can be handled. Work to get your family to put their dishes directly into the dishwasher instead of leaving them on the counter or in the sink. Start a load as soon as it is fairly full.
At the end of the day
- Gather and Empty Trash
- Lay Out Tomorrow’s Clothes
- Before Bedtime Walk Through
- Involve your family. You are not doing your children a favor if they are not learning to be good helpers and increasingly more able to take care of their clothes, toys and other possessions. Their clothes should be laid out the night before and putting their rooms and toys in order before bedtime should be a regular part of their routine.