- Review your active file to make sure not issue is falling through the cracks.
- Make any calls, send any emails, send any cards that need to be sent.
- File any papers you need to keep in a way that you can locate them when you need them. If you will never conceivably need a piece of paper throw it out or recycle it.
This is your last day in your kitchen but our One Small Areas in the Major Declutter will continue through the week:
Wednesday—Food Storage Containers/Pots and Pans
Friday—The Black Hole under Your Kitchen Sink
Tomorrow the Area of Focus moves to the Master Bedroom, Closet, and Master Bathroom
Work from Top to Bottom and around the room in whichever direction you want.
- Is your bed made? (D)
- Are there cobwebs that need to be removed?(M)
- Are there any burnt out bulbs in the light fixtures?(M)
- Do the light fixtures need to be cleaned?(M)
- Are the ceiling fans clean?(M)
- Are the windows and window treatments clean?(M)
- Is the woodwork and walls free of fingerprints and marks?(M)
- Are the sheets clean? (W)The duvet? The dust ruffle? The Mattress pad?(M)
- Are the surfaces (night tables, dressers, tables) free of clutter?(D)
- Does the furniture need to be polished?(M) Dusted?(W)
- Are your drawers and cabinets in order?(M)
- What’s under the bed?(M)
- Are the shelves in order?(M)
- Are the hanging clothes in order, clean, in good repair?(M)
- Are the shoes in order?(M)
- Are there items stored in your closet that should/could be stored elsewhere like the attic?(M)
- Does the floor need to be dust mopped or vacuumed? Does the carpet need to be shampooed or spot cleaned?(M)
- Wash Area Rug—also toilet seat cover, and shower curtain. (M)
- Clean sink—I wipe mine out after each use (D)
- Polish faucets (D)
- Clean toilet (every Monday)
- Clean tub after every use. Clean and wax shower. -(Use car polish. DO NOT GET POLISH ON THE SHOWER FLOOR) (M/S)
- Clean shower door—Lemon juice works. You can even slice a lemon and apply directly to the glass. It will cut soap scum and smell fresh, too. (M)
- Clean mirror
- Polish countertop
- Clean cobwebs (M)
- Clean window treatments (M or S)
- Wash windows (M)
- Vacuum fan grill (S)
- Clean grout (M or EOM)
- Wipe down woodwork, cabinets, baseboards, doors, door and window frames (M)
- Clean blinds (M/S)
- Clean out medicine cabinet (S)
- Clean and organize cabinets and drawers (M)
- Clean brushes and combs (M)
- Clean scale (M)
- Wash floors (Every Thursday)
- Empty trash. (as needed)
D= Daily, W=Weekly, M=Monthly, S=Seasonally, EOM=Every Other Month
Today we are iced in. What about our routine?
Keep up with your routine. Involve your children. Children need to know that the house does not magically clean itself. They also need to learn how to do things for themselves but it doesn’t have to be miserable. Make it fun and have a reward (play a game, cook or bake something together, have a movie marathon of their favorites with popcorn)
What about getting off track? Everything’s a mess and I don’t know what to do next.
Refresh your To Do List
- Sit down for 15 minutes with a cup of tea and think about all the things that are mentally nagging you.
- Write it all down
- Walk through your home and note what needs to be done.
- Do your routines for the day
- Tackle some of the items on the list. What needs to be done first?
My To Do list keeps me on track. When I don’t know what to do next, I look at it. My problem is that after doing this for over 30 years I often get to the end of my list. What a big problem! But then, if I try to function without a list I lose direction. So I refresh my list often. I can always find something to do.
Include fun things that you have been meaning to do on your To Do List—have you been meaning to try a craft, read a book, or invite someone over for a cup of coffee or tea and a chat.
Your life will be as pleasant as you set out to make it.
Love and Hugs,