A Review of The Basics in Under 20 Minutes a Day with a Little Cleaning Help
Make a tote or totes for each area with any cleaning supplies you will need for your quick cleaning. One for each level of your home. Having your supplies gathered in one place will save you time and effort.
Cleaning is more productive if you:
- Clean from the clean area into the dirtier area to avoid spreading the dirt around.
- Work from the top to bottom to knock dust down.
- Vacuum after you dust.
Homes can be more appealing when you take into consideration the five senses: Sight, sound, smell, taste and touch. Terry Willets has written some books on having a sense-sational home . I read these books in 1996 but they are still available on Amazon.
The Complete Basics in Under 20 Minutes
Your Bedroom-Under 7 minutes each day:
- Make your bed either before or after your morning shower. (2 minutes)
- Pick up and put away any clothes, shoes, or jewelry (4 minutes)
- Straighten your surfaces (night stand and dresser) (under 1 minute)
Your Bathroom- Under 2 minutes each day
- Wipe out the sink (30 seconds)
I keep a stack of white washcloths under the sink and use them to wipe out the sink and wipe down the counters at least once a day but I try to keep the sink and counter clean each time I wash my hands.
- Wipe off the toilet seat and rim (20 seconds)
- Swish the toilet bowl with a toilet brush (20 seconds)
- Polish the mirror and faucet (20 seconds)
- Keep a squeegee in the shower and squeegee the surfaces immediately after your shower or use a shower spray (20 seconds)
Your Kitchen Under 5 minutes each day
While the coffee is brewing:
- Wipe down the sink (30 seconds)
- Wipe off the stove (30 seconds)
- Wipe down the counters (1 minute)
- Sweep or Swiffer the floor (2 minutes)
Your Gathering Areas 7 minutes each day
- Use a small vacuum like a Shark Rocket to pick up crumbs (2 minutes) (If you don’t have a small vacuum use a whisk broom and small dust pan)
- Straighten pillows on the couch and chairs and fold throws (2 minutes)
- Spot clean end tables, coffee table and entertainment center, wipe off any fingerprints or other marks. (1 minute)
- Put away CD’s and DVD’s. Straighten books and magazines. Discard newspapers (2 minutes)