Monday, January 27, 2014
Bible Reading: Genesis 49-50; Psalm 23
Monday, January 27th and Tuesday, January 28th
Area of Focus: Wednesday, January 29th through Friday January 31st:
The Family Bathroom(s)
Each Monday: Launch Your Week
- Bring your home back into order after the weekend
- Clean your toilets
- Check your bathroom supplies for any need cleaning, paper, or personal items that will be needed and add those items to your shopping list.
- Declutter for 15 to 30 minutes
Honor Your Guests But Honor Your Family First
Today is the second meeting of the study on The Daniel Plan.
Last week I shared that when I have guests coming, I do not stash and dash, or cram and slam. I still do all my regular tasks. My toilets are clean. The washer and dryer and dishwasher are running. I have read the Bible and begun to pray for the day. All the chairs in my home are lined up in the living room waiting for the women who will be here in a few hours.
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms
As I get ready to post this my computer says that my internet reception is excellent but my programs will not load. I have cleaned up the disk and defragged. My internet security is working fine and there are no bugs or viruses. I am aware that I have an enemy who, especially when I am leading or hosting a study or doing anything else connected with serving God, causes irritating and upsetting things to happen. I used to get so frustrated but now I recognize where the source of my struggle is. Now, I count it all joy and move my focus and operate in trust toward my Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. I will trust that I will get this posted when it needs to be posted. I began to work on this in plenty of time to post on time. God is not causing this but is allowing this for me to exercise my spiritual muscles. So with guests arriving soon, this may not be posted until this afternoon. The point is I will trust God and not allow the enemy to rob me of my peace. ( Finally able to get online at 4:45 pm!)
Instructions for Christian Living
How are we NOT to live?
- 17So I tell you this, and insist on it in the Lord, that you must no longer live as the Gentiles do,
How do the Gentiles live?
- in the futility of their thinking.
- 18They are darkened in their understanding and
- separated from the life of God
Why are they separated from the life of God?
- because of the ignorance that is in them
- due to the hardening of their hearts.
- 19Having lost all sensitivity,
- they have given themselves over to sensuality
- so as to indulge in every kind of impurity,
- and they are full of greed.
What is the life we have learned of in Jesus Christ?
- 20That, however, is not the way of life you learned
- 21when you heard about Christ and
- were taught in him in accordance with the truth that is in Jesus.
What were we taught?
- 22You were taught, with regard to your former way of life, to put off your old self,
- which is being corrupted by its deceitful desires;
- 23to be made new in the attitude of your minds;
- 24and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness.
What are some specific instructions we can put into action in our lives now?
- 25Therefore each of you must put off falsehood and speak truthfully to your neighbor,
- for we are all members of one body.
- 26“In your anger do not sin”d :
- Do not let the sun go down while you are still angry,
- 27and do not give the devil a foothold. (holding onto anger gives the devil a foothold)
- 28Anyone who has been stealing must steal no longer,
- but must work, doing something useful with their own hands,
- that they may have something to share with those in need.
- 29Do not let any unwholesome talk come out of your mouths,
- but only what is helpful
- for building others up according to their needs,
- that it may benefit those who listen.
- 30And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.
- 31Get rid of
- all bitterness,
- rage and anger,
- brawling and slander,
- along with every form of malice.
- 32Be kind and compassionate to one another,
- forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.
Again, what have you seen in this Scripture that you can put into practice in the power of God’s Holy Spirit in your life? Remember to ask God’s help and not try to white knuckle good behavior. Keep your focus on the Lord.
Tuesday, January 28, 2014
Bible Reading: Exodus 1-2: Psalm 24
Area of Focus: The Front Porch, Entry and Dining Room
This is the last day this month in this Area of Focus. What can you do to make it less cluttered, more orderly and functional, cleaner, and a lovelier place for your family and guests?
Each Tuesday is Duster Dance Day. Grab a duster, put on some music and dance that dust right out of your home with the help of any youngsters in your home.
Declutter for 15 to 30 minutes.
If you do not have a dining room, front porch, or entry, don’t take the week off. The same is true after you bring these areas in your home into order. It will take less and less time to keep your home free of clutter, orderly, and clean. Use your time to bring areas not on the regular rotation in order—office, craft room, children’s room(s), laundry room. When you are really feeling brave you will be ready to tackle the garage, basement, and/or attic.