Friday, February 21, 2014
Bible Reading: Leviticus 1-2; Psalm 39
February 22nd -28th: Dining Room, Entry, and Front Porch
Since the 28th is the last day of the month, make sure to give your bathroom(s) some attention over the next week.
Friday is Wrap Up the Week Day
- Clean out your car
- Clean out your purse, backpack, diaper bag, computer case, or whatever you carry with you as you go out your door.
- Vacuum the traffic areas. Give special attention to your Area of Focus.
- Declutter for 15 to 30 minutes
- Walk in God’s love toward everyone, even your enemies
The Daniel Plan by Rick Warren, Mark Hyman, and Daniel Amen
In December, at about the time it was published I discovered the Daniel Plan. It is not a diet but a lifestyle change. I thought I was pretty knowledgeable about diet and exercise. My weight was stuck about 15 pounds heavier than I wanted to be, not grossly overweight but weight had crept on a pound or two over the years as I’ve reached my mid-sixities.
I scanned the book and one thing that popped out at me instantly was not drinking sugar. When I was growing up soft drinks were treats for special occasions. Now they seem to be a dietary staple for many of us. BUT it was not just sugared drinks but artificially sweetened drinks that cause weight gain and difficulty in loosing weight. Artificially sweetened drinks make us crave sweets and make the battle to reach and maintain a healthy weight more challenging! Sports drinks and juices are also mostly sugar. I determined to drink mostly green tea and water. I could flavor the water by putting lemon or cucumber in the water but water and green tea needed to be my go to drinks. I lost 5 pounds! (and this was at Christmas)
I had been planning to teach a different Bible Study but I was so intrigued by this study and lifestyle plan I asked our women’s ministry team if I could facilitate this study instead. I was thrilled when over 20 women signed up to join me. Then the Discipleship Pastor at our church asked me to lead it as part of our Wednesday evening Discipleship studies. Over 30 people signed up!
I have continued with baby steps—I began to read labels more carefully:
- If a food product contains MSG (monosodium glutamate), hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils, or high fructose corn syrup, I don’t use it.
- I try to buy products with 5 or fewer ingredients
- If it is made in a plant instead of grown on a plant, I avoid it.
- If I cannot pronounce the ingredients, I avoid it.
- I switched to unsweetened almond milk.
- I buy real cheese instead of cheese food.
- I am avoiding white sugar, white flour, white pasta, and white rice
I have always advised shopping the periphery (outer edges) of the store. That is where the meat, produce, and dairy products are. My focus is on fresh fruit and vegetables and lean meats.
Without dieting, I have lost several pounds and I feel better. I am sleeping better. I feel calmer.
This food plan combines the usual elements of food and fitness but the special sauce is faith, friends, and focus. People who take on projects with friends are much more likely to succeed. I highly recommend this lifestyle plan. I am only a couple of months in and I am reaping benefits already. Take a look at http://danielplan.com/rally/
The cookbook was published this week and is beautiful and full of great nutritional information.
Walking Through Philippians: Paul’s Joy in Prison that the Gospel is Being Preached
- 12Now I want you to know, brothers and sisters,b that what has happened to me has actually served to advance the gospel.
- 13As a result, it has become clear throughout the whole palace guardc and to everyone else that I am in chains for Christ.
- 14And because of my chains, most of the brothers and sisters have become confident in the Lord
- and dare all the more to proclaim the gospel without fear.
Why do some people preach Christ?
- 15It is true that some preach Christ out of envy and rivalry,
- but others out of goodwill.
- 16The latter do so out of love,
- knowing that I am put here for the defense of the gospel.
- 17The former preach Christ out of selfish ambition, not sincerely, supposing that they can stir up trouble for me while I am in chains.
What is important in this?
- 18But what does it matter? The important thing is that in every way, whether from false motives or true, Christ is preached. And because of this I rejoice.
Why is Paul rejoicing in prison?
- Yes, and I will continue to rejoice, 19for I know that through your prayers
- and God’s provision of the Spirit of Jesus Christ
- what has happened to me will turn out for my deliverance
What is Paul hoping for?
- 20I eagerly expect and hope that I will in no way be ashamed,
- but will have sufficient courage so that now as always Christ will be exalted in my body, whether by life or by death.
- 21For to me, to live is Christ and to die is gain.
- 22If I am to go on living in the body, this will mean fruitful labor for me.
- Yet what shall I choose? I do not know!
- 23I am torn between the two:
- I desire to depart and be with Christ, which is better by far;
- 24but it is more necessary for you that I remain in the body.
- 25Convinced of this, I know that I will remain, and I will continue with all of you for your progress and joy in the faith,
- 26so that through my being with you again your boasting in Christ Jesus will abound on account of me.
Monday—Live as a Citizen of Heaven
Saturday, February 22, 2014
Bible Reading: Leviticus 3-4; Psalm 40
Saturday is Family Fun Day. Work and Play Together and Make It Fun.
Sunday, February 23, 2014
Bible Reading: Focus on Passages from Your Pastor’s Sermon or Use This as a Day to Catch Up on Your Daily Reading
Sunday is a Day of Rest and Worship
Spend Time with Your Family Coordinating and Planning Your Week
Monday, February 24, 2014
Bible Reading: Leviticus 5-6; Psalm 41
Area of Focus: The Dining Room, Entry, and Front Porch
Monday February 24- Friday February 28th
Each Monday: Launch Your Week
- Bring your home back into order after the weekend
- Clean your toilets
- Check your bathroom supplies for any need cleaning, paper, or personal items that will be needed and add those items to your shopping list.
- Declutter for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Walk in God’s Love